Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Day 52

I know before we park the car that no one is at UVU. However, Ann and Dean are insistent and so Josh and I leave with them to check it out while the others run to the Wal-Mart near by to hopefully grab some provisions and supplies.

* * *

We walk in through the administration buildings. The lights are all out and the dim light coming from the windows only adds to the eeriness of the atmosphere. I have my M21 pointing down the hall that would lead to the hall of flags and Josh is pointing his M4 the other direction. Dean and Ann both have pistols we'd grabbed from the back of the Hummer. We turn left, and walk down the long hall way filled with chairs, lining the walls, and flags from around the globe hanging above from the ceiling. The large windows bring light into the hall allowing us to see easily what is before us.

"I really don't  think anyone is here," Josh says to me as we walk down the hall. "I mean . . . we would see someone, or something."

"Yeah, I think so too." I can tell that Dean and Ann are feeling the same way but are unwilling to admit it. Maybe the stubbornness comes in part because of the death of their friend.

"I think we should look in the UCCU Center," Ann says, pointing in its general direction. "That seems the most likely place. We agree and move on.

I look through the hall that leads to the science rooms. The large pendulum that swung back and forth since I can remember, knocking over wooden dowels as it rotated slowly around now hung perfectly still. The library was open and dark inside. I walk over to it and peer in. There is no sound. I walk further in and the others stop, looking at me. I disappear into the darkness for a minute or two and emerge with a new black coat on. It is slender and fit as well as having the UVU emblem on the left.

"I needed a new coat," I say, shrugging. Ann rolls her eyes.

We walk outside, walking between buildings as we make our way to the events center. There is no movement that I can see outside, however I have a feeling that we are being watched. By who or what, I do not know. Josh and I have now separated further to keep a better eye out for any zombies. I see movement down towards the library, near the doors there is a zombie, wandering, seemingly aimlessly. It is looking the other direction and so we hurry into the Liberal Arts building and out of sight. It is dark and hard to see down the long hallway, passing by dance studio's, English studies as well as math and philosophy. I can see the doors at the end, but what is between is more or less a mystery.

We do not need to go down this hall, however. We walk strait and, crossing an in-closed bridge, we arrive at the double doors that will lead to the UCCU Center. We try the door but it is locked. It would be almost impossible to kick in as it is an outward swinging door and so we decided to try another door.

We walk back, and then turn left to go down the LA building long hall which would lead us outside and then to another entrance. Soon, after walking down the hall for nearly a minute, there is a crash from in front of us. There is nothing there, but could have easily come from one of the rooms. We four stop and stair down the hall, trying to see if there was anything there. Soon, there is another crash and a zombie tumbles out of a stair well. It is laying on its back and trying to scramble up. It yells and runs back towards the stairs only to fall back out again. I pull my machete out but Josh is ahead of me. He katana already swinging around and soon slicing the things head open. I swing my gun around and pull my machete out, ready for any other to appear out of the stairs. None come.

We begin to continue walking when a man steps out of the stairwell. He is tall and looks older. He is missing his left arm from the elbow down, and it is heavily bandaged, and holds a machete, not too dissimilar to mine, in his right hand. He is wearing a suit, and this is the oddest thing about him. A suit and tie, albeit, it being very heavily torn up. There are holes in both knees and one of the shoulder seems are coming severely undone.

"Aaron?" the man says, "Josh?"

I recognize the voice immediately and Josh and I both run towards him. Dan, is standing in front of us, mangles and scared, but there, nonetheless. I slap him on the back as I hug him and he grimaces. I apologize quickly and grin at mine and Josh's little brother, who, up until now, we had thought in Finland, where he had lived over the last two years.

"How?" I ask, but he interrupts me.

"It's a long story," he says, waving his stub. He winces. "I think we need to leave, though. If any of the zombies," Josh cuts him off.

"You call them zombies, too!" He looks at me, nodding in approval, "nice!"

"Uh, I think more will come soon. If any heard that racket."

"Have you seen any survivors here?" Dean asks, obviously already knowing the answer.

"No. I'm sorry." It occurs to me then that maybe they were hoping to find family here. Or friends. I can see their disappointment.

"C'mon," I say to them. "We better get going." I grab Dean by the arm and look at him significantly. I intend to ask him who he was hoping to find but out of an open door, as we walk past a zombie leaps out and tackles Ann.

"Ann!" Dean yells and he kicks the thing off of his friend. It does not go far and I run over, pulling my machete out and stabbing its head. The blade goes into its ear and brain. I hear a yell from somewhere and know that we need to move.

"Let's go," Dan yells, "Dean helps Ann up and, just before me they start to run. I sheath my machete before running and pull my gun in front of me. I cannot hear anything, only our breathing and footsteps. As we near the dance rooms and lockers the hallway grows darker and I have a hard time seeing anything in front of me well enough to know if I'll need to fire. I hear the yell again and turn to see a single zombie running after us. The yell, I realize at that moment, is calling other zombies, for more join him and I am forced to fire several loud bursts at the oncoming things. I drop them but know more will be coming. More from all over the school.

I get outside and watch as Dean shoots one dead, hitting it directly in the head. Dan is running with his machete towards a group of zombies all running towards us. I am amazed as I watch him kill no less then five zombies. This is not the same person I know when he left, in several ways he seems . . . dangerous. I hear fires from Josh as well. He is a ways before us, moving towards the doors that would lead to the science building, urging us to hurry. We follow him through the doors where there are several zombies running towards us from within the science department, from down the hall of flags and food courts around the side. They are everywhere, and gathering around us. I open fire on them, making us a path to move through. Josh fires at those nearest us, keeping them off. Once makes it through and grabs Josh, clawing at tearing up his arm as he struggles free, dropping his gun to catch on its strap and unsheathing his machete, stabbing it into the mouth of the creature.

"Wow," says Dan. Josh smiles weakly looking at his mangled arm. Dean and Ann pass then and they follow behind. More and more zombies file into the hall, making it impossible to get through. I spin and fire at the window to our side, shattering the glass.

We climb through and walk along the thick brush down to a field. We are followed, but are able to give some distance between us and the zombies. I can see the Hummer driving up the road and I fire several rounds to get their attention. They wheel the Hummer around and pull up onto the grass, meeting us soon after.

We climb in and Dawns excitement rises as she sees Dan.

"You were in there!?" she asks as we pull out, Charlotte driving, Dawn wheeled around in the passenger seat looking at Dan. They had been close before he had left.

"We need something bigger," Charlotte says, speaking of a new vehicle. He did not fit in the Hummer any more.

I sigh and lay back in my seat with Seeley on my lap, squirming to get off. "Good to see you Dan! I can't tell you how good it is to see you."

No comments:

Post a Comment