Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Day 31

We only stay one night at Chad's house. The following morning we load up all of their dry goods and leave. Chad never looked back as we pulled out but looked down at the storage, or towards the front of the car. I think a part of him accepted it, or accepted something. I can't imagine what he is feeling, but if I was to guess I would say recognition that they are not here. Because here is Hell, and there is no way around it. I think of my kids and having to grow up in a world like this; a world where they could die at any moment and I feel my heart drop. I know Chad misses his family more than anything I could ever imagine, but at least they are not in constant fear, and at least he is not in constant fear for them. I can see that he knows they are happy.

We make our way north. Having to avoid the Sierra's and the lines and lines of cars we had walked through weeks before. As we drive I look at Josh, still sitting in the front seat. He has a beard. His face is dirty and his clothes worn. He is not the same man he was at the beginning of the year, when all of this had never existed. Not in our minds anyway. He had just passed his Chemistry class. I think it was probably the hardest class he'd ever taken. And this coming from someone who enjoys differential equations. I was so happy for him. He was home from school and Dawn and I as well as the kids would visit him and my parents regularly. We talked about the coming semester. I worked too much and I see that now. But at the time it seemed important, and maybe it was. Maybe that is what was important then, in another life time, but now, driving with my family, (Charlotte needs to be included in that), there is nothing else. Nothing but survival and looking for those we love. How can someone make a life for themselves in a world like this. I am not sure it can happen.

And so now, all we do is drive. Drive north into Oregon and then Idaho. And then back down to Utah, and to Heber City, to where Dawn's family should be. And hope that nothing along the way stops us.

* * *

Charlotte drove through the night, after we blew the tire she was more careful in avoiding zombies. In the morning I took over. Josh had a map and directed me to the Interstate. There were cars parked on the road at places, but we could avoid them. Charlotte had gotten up to Oregon through the night and now I head east, into Idaho. It is cold and there are less and less cars on the road. And finally, we get to a point where there are no cars on either side of the road. For the first time we are alone. there is nothing but trees and road. And soon, even the trees end. They are burned. Burned completely down. We all look at the blackened landscape as it rolls by the windows.

For miles this continues. No cars, no trees where there should be trees and where there should be cars. We near Boise and I can see tree's again in the distance, near where Boise would start, and there, on the road, blocking any traffic is a barricade. From the sides of the barricade is a fence, at least twenty feet high with barbed wire stretching along the top. On the fence are signs warning of high voltage. And, walking towards us is a man, with a gun.

Several run after him and as I pull to a stop there are at least ten guards aiming their guns at us. I roll down the window.

"What the hell is this?" comes the mans gruff voice from behind a gas mask.

I look at him blankly. "We, uh . . . we're trying to get to Utah."

"Utah!? Utah has been over run. There's no one in Utah for you."

"My family is there," my wife says from the back.

"Listen," he says looking back at here, "I'm sorry. I really am, but no one is there. It would be impossible. It is impossible that you are here." I look at him suspiciously, and I look at Josh to my right. He looks uneasy. The man motions to the others and they rush the vehicle. I slam on the gas, but they have me out of the Hummer before I can pick up any speed. It rolls to a stop as they pull the others out.

"No!" I yell, "Let go of my kids!" I punch the man in the face and the mask comes loose. He scrambles for it and I kick him. I run over to the man holding both of my kids who are screaming and fighting to get down and pull his pistol from his side, shooting him quickly in the knee. He falls with my kids but I am able to grab Seeley. Connor tumbles with him and I quickly grab him. Dawn is being contained but I can see that Charlotte is fighting off her guard. There are more people running towards us.

"Charlotte!" I yell, "My wife!" She runs to her and shoots the man holding her, killing him. My eyes widen as his form crumples to the ground, bringing my wife with him. Charlotte helps her up and I run towards her.

"We need to go." But it is too late. The other men have arrived and are surrounding us, their guns aimed at each of us.

"GET ON YOUR KNEES!" Someone yells from behind me, annunciating each word. I look at the guns but do not get down. "We will kill you if you do not cooperate. You and your damn kids!" I slowly drop to my knees. I can feel his footsteps behind me and then, with a sharp pain all goes black.

No comments:

Post a Comment